|About The Billericay Society|
Society was formed on Saturday, 27th July, 1935. At that time, the Council
for the Protection of Rural Essex wanted to set up a local area committee,
so a meeting was held in Lockers Hall, and the first President was Mrs
Ward, owner of the Hall.
Consequently, The Society was then known as ‘The Billericay Area Group of the Essex Branch of the Council for the Preservation of Rural England’. The first Secretary was Basil Brooks, J.P.
It was long felt that such a title was unwieldy, and so in 1972 the name was changed to “The Billericay Society”, affiliated to the Council for the Protection of Rural Essex.
Following the death of Mrs Ward, the Earl of Mexborough (who lived in Stockwell Hall, Little Burstead) took over as President in 1943.
This (picture right) is 74A, 74 and 74B High Street, our Head Office and the Cater Museum.
It is an 18th century red-brick fronted
building in 2 storeys and attic.
In 1945 discussion by the Committee
began on the desirability of forming a museum in Billericay; but it
was not until 1957, when founder member, Mrs Cater, purchased 74 High
Street – former home of the Eales family, Saddlers and Harness Makers.
Because of her kind donation of the property, the Museum was set up.
It was officially opened on 7th May 1960, and it became the official
address of The Society, and remains so to this day.
Some of the activities and promotions which have been carried out are:-
A Billericay Footpath Map and a booklet on open spaces have been produced by The Society and in 1963 the definitive history of the High Street entitled “Billericay and its High Street” by Harry Richman, was produced. At that time, he was Curator of the Museum.Billericay Society has up-dated the aims and objectives as follows:-
Anyone wishing to become a member of the society should
Lynne Beard 01277 624282
|Annual Membership fees are:|
|or write to:|| The Hon.
The Billericay Society,
74 High Street,
Under 18’s £3.00
|or email us at:||email@example.com|